Sunday, March 15, 2015

Four plus two!




Last week Forrest drove out to Utah for spring break, to visit his mother Barbara and sister Chelle and make arrangements as they plan their future because of Barbara's recent stroke. He brought two bonuses with him - Wyatt and Jonas! Elise and Angie held down the fort in Minnesota and we sure missed seeing them, but what an opportunity to spend some time with the boys.

We all went to church together on Sunday so we got to sit in a "family" row. Tony and Cindy and Lauren, Reagan, Jane, Eli, Vivi and Calvin drove up from Springville for Sunday dinner and they picked Ethan up from BYU and brought him too.
It was a fun, relaxing Sunday evening together with family. We watched a fascinating documentary "Tim's Vermeer" that Angie recommended to us about this modern-day millionaire who devoted a year to recreating a Vermeer painting. We were only going to watch a little bit, but it captured everyone's attention so we were all in.



Well, not ALL in. Some people were more interested in creating their own masterpieces:



Monday night we drove down to the Springville homestead and had a wonderful evening together just visiting, eating pizza, and devouring Cindy's home made chocolate chip cookies which magically appear out of nowhere and there are never EVER any dirty dishes left behind. I loved listening to the kids play "Telestrations." Wyatt can dissolve in laughter like nobody's business.We also planked a bit. I even got in a couple of quick piano lessons!

I took Tuesday off, and Dennis and I had the day wide open to spend with the boys. It doesn't happen very often that we have two on two time and we loved it. We made a list of things we could do and it looked like this:

a) The zoo (Jonas pulled me aside and nixed that)
b) Nickelcade (I pulled Wyatt aside and nixed that)
c) Thanksgiving Pointe Dinosaur museum or Museum of Natural Curiosity (kinda expensive)
d) Aquiarium (flat out expensive)
e) Miniature Golf

They chose mini golf which was a win/win/win because it's 3 minutes away, it isn't very expensive, and we got to be outside enjoying this spring weather. I saw my first light-green tree budding in the distance that day. I always call it "Cathy Kelner green" because of my friend Cathy who used to love that color of paint. It is gorgeous!

We "LITERALLY" had the Mulligans mini golf course to ourselves. It's a blast to mini golf when you own the whole shebang! We didn't even keep score. My favorite part was watching the boys eagerly running to the next hole and scoping it out.They really liked it and made some great shots. I don't have any photos, and mini golf courses make for GREAT photos dangit. Dennis had started a program downloading on my phone that morning to fix my icloud storage problem and it wasn't finished when we left to golf, so rats. The day will be in our memories but not in photos. Twice I was beside myself and blurted out in the middle of a golf swing, "I've got to drive home and get my phone so I can take pictures..." but then I realized it would be silly.


Jonas made us cheese dip. His always tastes better than mine. I bought him cocoa crispies. So we're even steven.



Wyatt loved reading the new Calvin and Hobbs book to fall asleep to every night.


He also helped break in the pancake batter dispenser I got for Christmas. He made a bear.


Jonas was all about getting the chocolate chips evenly distributed. He did good.


I thought of making "Peeps" pancakes, but all the kids tried them Sunday night and it was a thumbs down for everyone. I don't think I've ever seen a candy item so universally disdained.


And Wyatt, Elvis Junior, Mr. music man learned more of "Blues in the Night", and played his piano assignments for me (although I didn't realize he brought his piano books with him and tried to give them away to Cindy to take home Sunday night because I thought they were Eli's!). Eli was so confused because he has one some of the same books but the cover is missing. He was like, "but, what? how could it have a cover now?" Poor kids, we adults are sometimes nitwits and they have to grin and bear it.

Played some ping pong and Wyatt beat me fair and square. There was no grandma-ing lose a couple of points on purpose going on. He beat me! I like ping pong, unless Dennis is putting spin on the ball and then I don't like it any more. I like ping pong the way we played it growing up, on an old kitchen table in the basement!

So fun to have them here and see them growing up in front of our very eyes. Love you all!

XOXO
Mom

5 comments:

  1. Great blog. What is "planking"? Remember, too, that you played ping pong in a basement which had a very low ceiling and heat pipes even lower. "Those were the days...."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Dad - "Planking" is holding a push-up pose for as long as you can. It makes old people like me very sore the next day!

      Delete
  2. You need a picture of planking!
    Peeps pancakes? Hmmmm.....no.
    And I agree with not playing ping pong when Dad puts spin on the ball. He'd do the same thing with tennis. We'd be having a great match and then to keep me humble he'd put spin on the ball and I'd start losing.

    ReplyDelete

Mediterranean Cruise - May, 2023

In May, 2023 these South Jordanians became Mediterraneans for 17 days while on a deluxe Royal Caribbean Cruise. We were in awe of the many b...