Friday, September 16, 2016

Vivian's Baptism - July, 2016 - Lots Going On!

We had so many things that went on when we returned home to Utah at the end of Round Three. For one thing, Andrew and Andrea and Brandon and Whitney and Caroline were in town for their annual road trip and we were so grateful to be able to spend time with them!


The first event we were able to be part of took place the day after we returned. My visiting teaching companion Anne Murton and her husband Brenden were sealed in the Payson Temple. She is one of the best women among a lot of wonderful women I know, and our friendship is all because we are Visiting Teaching companions! Otherwise I don't think we would have said two words to each other other than "Hi" when we saw each other in the hall. We've been companions for a few years now.

These are some of my favorite men in our ward: from left to right: Roger Halterman, who helped take care of our house while we were away, and is the funniest guy you'll ever meet. He slays me! He and his wife Marcie (who played the marimbas at our wedding reception 45 years ago and lived across the hall from me at Metler Manor at Ricks College 46 years ago) are currently serving a full time mission here in the Utah Salt Lake City South Mission. The sister missionaries have said more than once that when they get released they are coming back to South Jordan so they can hug him. He is the best. And next to him is Bishop Daynes, who is also the doctor for half our ward. When he heard about Wyatt, he called us the next day and as a physician knew the serious nature of Wyatt's cancer. He was quiet for a minute and then said, "He will be all right Barbara." That meant the world to me. I wrote it on a yellow sticky and taped it to the back of my Book of Mormon. It's still there. Next to Bishop is Mike Beesley who is the husband of my dear friend Marilynn (Elise says I always call my friends "my dear friend" whenever I'm telling her about them) but she IS my dear friend! The Beesleys are the ones who have lived identical lives to Dennis and I right down to their careers at the SL Police department, Marilynn and I went to work the same year, and after 25 years in the wards we raised our kids in, we built our homes at the same time, using the same color brick, Marilynn and I are the ward organists and I am her visiting teacher. And Anne and I visit teach Marcie McDougal Halterman so you get the connections created by visiting teaching in this group. Next to Mike is Rich Gibbons, Dennis's hero for many reasons, but firstly because he's a scratch golfer. He's a great guy and a treasured friend. He and Dennis go to the temple every Tuesday together. And then, of course, the cute one! My man.

Here is the whole gang! The "dear friends" are Marilynn Beesley my doppleganger, Anne the beautiful bride (with her husband Brenden and their 10-year-old son who was sealed to them that day) and Shari Gibbons my "DEAR FRIEND" that I love and adore. Oh I love and adore her. She's the type of woman that I end up linking arms with whenever I'm with her and we're crossing the parking lot toward our cars. She was Anne's visiting teacher and my visiting teacher! Then Marcie McDougal on the marimbas, a gorgeous soul, and Anne and I visit teach HER, then Bishop Dayne's wife Amy (who is the only one who is there because of any other reason than connections created by visiting teaching) and who among other things is hilarious, flat-out smarty pants brilliant and in her spare time, a complete wizard on all questions concerning any laundry quandry. It really is her "thing."

And the next day we celebrated the baptism of Vivian Mae Sweat! Glowing Vivian, happy grandpa, happy papa! It was such a special day to be there with her and the Sweat/Bohman families. Lauren played the piano for the baptism and did a beautiful job. Tony and Cindy both spoke. It was a day to cherish.

Okay, this after-baptism buffet was a thing of beauty. The colors!!

I don't know what happened, but I didn't get any pictures at the church of Vivian's baptism! But I verify it was done by proper authority and she was immersed and there were two witnesses!

Cindy said she liked putting the fruit in stripes, like a rainbow, because it is symbolizing baptism!

Lauren's smile is as pretty as the food!

And the very next day it was Brandon's 15th birthday!

I think it's so fun to see what games or just random things that end up being part of getting together. And the game Operation was played non-stop this visit!

We all got to nuzzle Truman George!

One night everyone made "Sweat" t-shirts, with Cindy and Tony's patient PATIENT help! Andrea's face cracks me up! Arts and crafts take time and patience. And, I did mine completely wrong, but Cindy said it was a "happy accident" (thank you Bob Ross) and they made it work for me!

See? Andrew's playing Operation all by himself!

Jane and Whitney - there's nothing finer than a couple of 12 and 13-year-old girls who will make a fourth of July giant cookie cake with me!


We had the "water day" in the back yard! It's so fun to drag all that stuff out! And this year we didn't care a bit if the grass got hammered because it was already kinda stressed!

Heavy metal Eli!

Perfect form Reagan!

The gang eating dinner after the water mayhem.

The reason I bought a hammock!

Fourth of July, 2016 photo. Brandon Trey, 15; Reagan Elizabeth, 15; Jane Marie 13; Lauren Anthony 17; Truman George 6 months; Whitney Amelia 12; Vivian Mae, 8; Caroline Rose, 8; Calvin J 5; and Eli Andrew, 11. I wish we had Ethan William, age 19; Elise Julia, age 18; Jonas Leo, age 15; Wyatt Dean, age 9; Jack David, age 10; Macy Claire age 7; and Carly June, age 6 in the picture too. But that will be another day, another picture, another year!


We made pinwheels out of paper. Gosh I love this photo!

The Andrew Sweat family!

The Tony Sweat family! Some day I want to make a collage of Calvin J's contortions when he gets his picture taken. That kid is one-in-a-million.

Sparklers in the front driveway on the 4th of July. We had such lame traditions for the 4th of July when we were raising you kids. Partly because dad was working the parades and for so many years on the 4th, and then after that, we have no excuse, we were just LAME-O! But I LOVE the 4th of JULY as the grandma! More and more as the years go by!

And the fun was just beginning!!!
XO
Mom


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for everything!! You are so great to host us every year and make us feel like we're doing you a favor. ;) Love spending time with you guys every summer. So many fun memories.

    ReplyDelete

Mediterranean Cruise - May, 2023

In May, 2023 these South Jordanians became Mediterraneans for 17 days while on a deluxe Royal Caribbean Cruise. We were in awe of the many b...