Tuesday, March 18, 2014

King and Queen of the World!

Today I got to visit with my mom and dad in their cozy condo. We had a great afternoon together eating soup and salad and talking non-stop. After dinner, mom and I retired to the music room and played duets, including "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown" which will now be going through both of our heads for the next two days, while dad whipped up a decadent dessert of chocolate cake and ice cream. 

At the end of the visit, they walked me outside to their "back porch." Dad grabbed the red railing and raised his head to the wind and said he always feels like he's on the bow of a ship when he stands there. He faced west, struck a regal pose and said "I'm the King of the World!"

Yes you are dad, yes you are!...and mom is the queen of the world! Here's proof:


Also, last Tuesday we had our monthly ward sealing group at the Jordan River Temple. It's a wonderful experience that we've been able to participate in for the last couple of years. One of the members of our group, actually the one who got us nudged into joining, is Rich Gibbons, the golfer, you know the one. He loves to go to Astro Burger afterward and he and I both get patty melts. It never fails that after the session is finished, before we're even out of the sealing room, Rich comes up to me with a big smile and whispers "Patty Melt!'  He and his wife weren't there last week so Dennis and I just went through the drive-through at Astro Burger alone. The sunset was just cascading over the Wasatch mountains so I jumped out of the car, mid drive-through, and took this picture. Dennis was still driving along in the drive-through line, and when I was finished with my impromtu photo session, I ran up a few yards,opened the passenger door of the slowly moving vehicle and jumped back in. I looked up at the mountains, and the moment I'd captured had vanished as quickly as it appeared. Isn't it pretty?
Have a good week! Love,
Mom/Grandma/Barb/Glerg




John Adams once wrote to his son: "To one who has a Taste, the Poets serve to fill up Time which would otherwise pass in Idleness, Languor, or Vice. You will never be alone, with a Poet in your Pocket. You will never have an idle Hour. How many weary hours have been made alert, how many melancholly ones gay, how many vacant ones useful, to me, in the course of my Life, by this means?

I will update that to read "a mother, grandmother and blogger will never be alone with a camera in her purse. You will never have an idle Hour!" 

7 comments:

  1. Love the picture of Grandma and Grandpa and the image of Grandpa as "King of the World." And that Astro Burger photo is gorgeous. I can just imagine you hopping out of the car to take it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome picture Barb! And yes, awesome is appropriate here.
      Impromptu moments are the best!

      Delete
  3. I thought your story was going to end with you accidentally getting in to the wrong car at the drive thru. :)

    Sunsets are one of the things I miss most about living out west. Not the same in NC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture of G&G standing on their porch. Makes me want to go visit them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two beautiful photos! And now I'm craving a patty melt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we started reading these comments, I thought everyone's last name was "March". Good photos. Now we're going to have to find out what a patty melt is. Thanks for sharing. (Great orange design. Jool-bool should love it.)

    ReplyDelete

 Julie turns 70 A few months before she turned 70, Julie texted Denny and me and said "Hey sisters, would you be willing to fly out for...