Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Staples and Sledding!






I occasionally prepare personnel files for scanning when I'm at work. This is something any of my grandchildren could do with ease.........including Calvin. The biggest barrier to achieving professional fulfillment while performing this task is removing staples. (Don't you think this picture I took of the stapler and staple-remover make them look like carnivores)? Sometimes I find two thin, fragile pieces of paper that have been stapled together three times with industrial-strength, square staples spit from an electronic stapler; not your the meek, charitable, mild black Swingline stapler. I have caught myself musing, "Hmmmm, does this W-4 from 1987 REALLY need to be included in Joe Schmo's scanned file? I mean, come on......" But then I remain the good soldier and buckle down and spend 3 minutes gently persuading the staples to unhinge themselves.

Luckily, I'm paid by the hour.

Usually I end up tearing a big hole in the paper as I do my staple-ectomies. This then reminds me of grade school, when I would have to erase my arithmetic answers (using a big pink eraser of course), and gasp, would erase a hole in the paper. Pink eraser crumbs all over tarnation, the once beautiful, blank, beckoning  softly milled paper reduced to quivering masses of pulp, because of ME! The reckless giant 3rd-grader with a massive pink eraser in her paw. Oh the trauma of it all. It felt so irrepairable!..irreparable... .....irreparible? (Come to think of it, maybe it was the spelling papers, not the math papers that I made mistakes on :-).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Yesterday we went down to Tony's house and spent the day with them. So much fun!! We went tubing up Hobble Creek canyon and Calvin and Cindy built this snowman. They used a donut for the nose.





Here are the girls and Eli. They took some wild rides!!






And finally, Dennis was amazed at Vivi. He said she tubed down the hill countless times, trudging back up pulling her tube up all by herself. She also knew how to chill with some hot chocolate using the tube for a seat!




Then we all went back to their beautiful new house and enjoyed having an extra early birthday celebration for Calvin (since we'll be driving down to join Amy and Dave at Disneyland on his birthday!). And speaking of birthdays, HAPPY 7th BIRTHDAY today WYATT!!!


It's so fun to watch their house become a home, as paintings get hung, and bedrooms get decorated and personalized and inhabited and painted, and events take place. (Check out dad in the background of this second photo chilling with his Kindle? I taught piano lessons too, so he came prepared :-).






I Love You all to smithereens! Mom

5 comments:

  1. Just found your blog, courtesy of Angie's. Please write often, because reading it is just like talking to you; wonderful in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your stapler musings! And Tony and Cindy's house looks so beautiful and full of light. I also love that the snowman had a donut for a nose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we need to get ourselves some tubes for sleds. Those look like they'd go much faster than our plastic ones and they double as comfy donut eating chairs! I like Calvin's excited face as they're finishing the snowman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures Grandma! Hard to pick a favoirte, although I do love Lauren in flight. Can't quite decipher Tony's thoughts as he shoves Dennis down the hill....pure joy or total mischievousness...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your blog! Thanks for sharing pics of random and fun events that we miss out on. :)

    ReplyDelete

Mediterranean Cruise - May, 2023

In May, 2023 these South Jordanians became Mediterraneans for 17 days while on a deluxe Royal Caribbean Cruise. We were in awe of the many b...