Thursday, January 9, 2014

My Dinner With Richard and Shirley

Grandma and Grandpa Hiatt came over today and we had lunch together. It was a wonderful day! Don't they look dashing and beautiful? The slices of bread are on a pink glass plate that belonged to Grandmother Nan. Mom thought it was fun to think of Grandmother using it long ago, and now it was being enjoyed on our table today 50 or 60 years later. When mom saw the braided bread she said "that's so pretty we should take a picture" and so I did. My counselor Anne taught me how to make it. I'm so proud of myself. I've never been able to make bread. This is a honey bread so it's not quite the same as making a loaf of bread, but there is yeast, and kneading and and punching down involved.


My friend Debbie gave me this hand-stitched decoration for Christmas. I love it. It's of the four seasons, and as part of the process after stitching it, she painted a wash of tea onto the fabric (de-caf).


After enjoying our lunch of broccoli soup, bread, muffins and carrots cut on the bias (j/k), we finished off with Tillamook blackberry ice cream, and headed down to watch "Life of Pi" in the theater room.

Last night Dennis give me a tutorial on how to run the projector. It takes three remotes. Here are my copious notes. It worked like a charm! After learning to manage Amy and Dave's set-up, I can tackle anything.


We snuggled down under blankets, hugged our heated corn bags, turned down the lights, turned on the sub-titles, and the 20th Century opening music blared through the room "duh duh duh duh.....da-da-da-da-da.....duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh....da da...duh duh duh duh!"  announcing that we were being transported to movieland, dad said "no talking for the next two hours!" - and 2 of the 3 of us promptly fell sound asleep. The 3rd person said he may have dozed a little at one point. It would have been really funny if Dennis would have stopped by to check on us and found us all snoozing away while Richard Parker and Pi were crashing around in the ocean.


After the movie, we were all standing in the kitchen and grandpa said "look out the window!" and he stole a chocolate out of my candy dish and they were on their way home. Fun afternoon. I still can't believe they live here!
XO
Mom


7 comments:

  1. Sometime we can't believe we live here either. But it's great being close to family (and not just because both branches have wide-screen projection TV.) Your pictures are great but can't show how delicious everything was. A wonderful afternoon. Thanks for everything.
    (PS - Am I getting that bald on top or is it the lighting? Be careful how you answer.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bald on top?? You both look great!! Mmmm...that lunch looks good. It did deserve a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do your best to teach your children the finer points of cultural things...and then they spell theatre wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad - It was a Goldilocks decision on my part:
    Theatre was too big but theater is just right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandma and Grandpa both look so good! And your bread is gorgeous. What a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love this post! So sweet. The bread looks absolutely delicious. And you and I are exactly alike in that we need copious, handwritten notes in order to work electronic devices.
    Denies

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a senior in high school, working at the Granada Theatre and seeing every movie that came to town in all three theatres, I never dreamed I would some day have a daughter with a wide screen movie theatre in her basement. And now I have two of them. (And I don't care how many times this stupid spellcheck underlines "theatre".

    ReplyDelete

Mediterranean Cruise - May, 2023

In May, 2023 these South Jordanians became Mediterraneans for 17 days while on a deluxe Royal Caribbean Cruise. We were in awe of the many b...