Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Up North




See the little directional icon at the bottom corner of this map, with the North arrow pointing "up"? To me, North is always up. If I'm facing North everything is fine.  But if I turn to the West, then West becomes North. If I were the Kardashian baby, I'd be so confused if my name was North West! There are no magnets in my head. If I were a bird, I would probably fly North for the winter and perish.

But beginning this winter, I am going to fly North every Thursday morning and Friday afternoon, and serve as a Church Building Hosting Service Missionary at the Conference Center! I am excited and nervous. It is under the Public Affairs department. They ask for a 24-month commitment and that we be there 80% of the time, which gives plenty of time to go visit kids, catch a cold, have family reunions, or go to Cancun. Or combine them and have family reunions in Cancun and catch a cold!

I had my interview yesterday after interviewing with my Bishop and Stake President and then waiting forEVER to hear from downtown. They had needs at the Conference Center, the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and the Relief Society Building. I was thinking about the Relief Society Building on my drive downtown and how when I've gone to a training there it seems so filled with the Pioneer spirit. A real link to the past. And maybe that's where I'd choose.

While I was waiting for the Sister who is over the whole thing (there are 900 volunteers at the conference center alone!) the Sister in charge of the Joseph Smith building poked her head out of her cubicle and said, "Choose the Joseph Smith building!" followed by the sister over the conference center playfully saying, "No, choose the Conference Center!" So I said, "I guess I'll have to pick the Relief Society Building" and they said, "If you want to take a nap!" Then of course she quickly followed up by saying everyone who serves there loves it.  But, I bet it is pretty quiet there most days. So when I met with the Sister who is over everything, I told her I'd serve wherever they needed someone, and they needed people at the Conference Center so that's where I'm going. I'll start training sometime after Thanksgiving! It doesn't involve working there when they have "events." That's another group of volunteers. So, no checking handbags during the Christmas Concert and listening in (dangit).

Part of my brief initial orientation included telling me that as part of our day we are also the "eyes and ears" for church security and that they give us training on what to be watchful for when we're giving tours.  She was very sober when she went over all of that. Then she gave me some handouts which included a flow chart of all the supervisors over each area, a list of appropriate dress code requirements, worthiness requirements, and a map of the "35 acres" encompassing the various locations of all of the church buildings downtown. I can't wait to learn more about them so I can answer questions! They recommended that I take a tour at the Conference Center too so I can get a taste of what it's like. I seriously hope I can remember everything...........because.................after I finished the interview I headed back to the gorgeous lobby of the Joseph Smith Building and sat in one of their cushioned chairs and called Dennis to make sure those shifts were okay with him. He was really happy for me, and who knows, he may join me at some point (but he'd have to shave off his goatee :-). Then I stopped by the Nauvoo House restaurant and bought a bowl of tomato soup to go, burned my tongue terribly because I it was so hot and I was so hungry, found my car in the conference center parking lot....pictured below. They fill me with terror because of the magnet thing.


Then I headed home..........(South).  At some point, I looked around for my handouts. I didn't have them with me! I was already a security risk! I remembered vividly what happened. When I called Dennis, I put them on the chair next to me and then forgot to pick them up. At every red light I'd call the church offices and first was asked if I'd like to speak with Shauna who is the one who GAVE them to me. And I said, No, not yet. Not a good beginning. Then I got transferred to one voicemail after another. Finally on the third try I got an employee who said she'd go look for them herself. She asked if I was sitting in the chairs at the South end of the lobby? I started to explain to her about the missing magnets in my head, but then she asked if I was sitting by the revolving doors and I said "YES!" AND SHE FOUND MY HANDOUTS! So she scanned them and emailed them to me and then shredded them. Whew.

I LOVE being downtown. The energy and hustle and bustle of it all. Below are a few photos I took on my way back to my car, right after losing my papers and burning my tongue. I am excited for this opportunity to serve!




They are getting everything ready for the Christmas season!

City Creek waters.


"My Conference Center!"

Love, Mom















3 comments:

  1. Congrats, Barb, so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be such a neat experience and I'm looking forward to hearing all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome! Thanks for your example of serving. It sounds like the adventures have already started. :) Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete

Mediterranean Cruise - May, 2023

In May, 2023 these South Jordanians became Mediterraneans for 17 days while on a deluxe Royal Caribbean Cruise. We were in awe of the many b...